> The training of the teacher is something far more than the learning of ideas. It is a preparation of the spirit.
Buffalo Grove Montessori School employs enthusiastic staff with a love of learning for our growing programs. Our staff includes Montessori trained directors, teacher assistants, childcare workers, high school co-op/aides, and cooks who love children.
We are accepting applications for Full and Part-Time teachers! Applicants should be DCFS qualified. Montessori trained teachers are preferred. If you're interested in joining our team of dedicated, child-oriented staff, download the employment application (PDF) and send it to us today!
Buffalo Grove Montessori offers competitive salaries, health benefits, flexibility, and financial support for professional development. Questions about career opportunities? Contact us by phone at 847.541.8111 or use our online contact form.
Staff shall be able to demonstrate the skill and competence necessary to contribute to each child’s physical, intellectual, personal, emotional and social development. Factors contributing to the attainment of this standard include:
- Emotional Maturity when working with children
- Cooperation with the purposes and services of the program
- Respect for children and adults
- Flexibility, understanding and patience
- Physical and mental health that do not interfere with child care responsibilities
- Good personal hygiene
- Frequent interaction with children
- Listening skills, availability and responsiveness to children
- Sensitivity to children’s socioeconomic, cultural, ethnic, and religious backgrounds, and individual needs and capabilities
- Use of positive discipline and guidance techniques;
- Ability to provide an environment in which children can feel comfortable, relaxed, happy, and involved in play, recreation and other activities.
- Early childhood and school age assistants shall have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate (GED).
- Early childhood assistants shall work under the direct supervision of an early childhood teacher or school age worker and shall not assume full responsibility for a group of children.
CHILD CARE WORKER / TEACHER
- A childcare worker/ teacher shall be at least 19 years of age.
- A childcare worker/teacher shall have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate (GED).
- In addition, a worker responsible for a group of children shall have achieved:
- Sixty semester hours (or 90 quarter hours) of credits from an accredited college or university with 6 semester hours or nine quarter hours directly related to child care and/or child development, from birth to age six; or
- One year (1560 clock hours) of child development experience in a nursery school, kindergarten, or licensed day care center and thirty semester hours (45 quarter hours) ) of credits from an accredited college or university with 6 semester hours or nine quarter hours directly related to child care and/or child development, from birth to age six.
- In addition, a teacher shall have successfully completed the Montessori Training and obtained the appropriate credential (0-3 or 3-6).
The Montessori teacher in the classroom will act as your supervisor and will present daily specifics to you.
The Employee Manual along with the following includes some of the duties.
In addition the following expectations also apply:
- Must maintain a well groomed and clean appearance
Be prompt and prepared for work
Follow all the guidelines and requirements as indicated by BGMS, DCFS and the Health Dept.
Assist the teacher in all aspects of the classroom
Assist in the care of the children and classroom environment
Examples: Help prepare and clean the classroom Help children with activities: organize, complete, extend Help set up, serve and clean up lunch and snacks. Assist children with toileting Assist in prepare and clean up of nap Assist in general supervision of class Exhibit mature, considerate and flexible behavior Be positive in attitude and demonstrate a friendly manner Indicate a willingness to continue to learn; attend meetings, seminars, etc. Support BGMS in all family and school events through participation and enthusiasm Every BGMS employee has a Daily Job (TASK) in regard to the care of the overall school. Ex: Vacuum the hall or cover the sandbox. You will be assigned a daily task in addition to your classroom responsibilities.
- The childcare director shall be at least 21 years of age.
- The childcare director shall have a high school diploma or equivalency certificate (GED).
- In addition to meeting the general requirements for all personnel,
- the childcare director shall have achieved 60 semester hours (90 quarter hours) of credit from an accredited college or university with 18 semester or 27 quarter hours in courses related directly to childcare and/or child development from birth to age six; or
- Two years (3120 clock hours) of child development experience in a nursery school, kindergarten, or licensed daycare center, 30 semester hour (45 quarter hours) of college credits with 10 semester or 15 quarter hours in courses related directly to childcare and/or child development, and proof of enrollment in an accredited college or university until two years of college credit have been achieved. A total of 18 semester hours (27 quarter hours) in courses related directly to childcare and/or child development is required to be obtained within the total two years of college credits; or
- Completion of a credentialing program (Montessori Training), completion of 12 semester (18 quarter) hours in courses related to childcare and/or child development from birth to age six at an accredited college or university, and two years (3120 clock hours) child development experience in a nursery school, kindergarten or licensed day care center.